Tuesday 18 October 2011

Lands End 100

It's not often that I see 4:45 am on a Sunday morning, but that wat it was for me as had lift down to St. Ives with a fellow cyclist to take part in the first Lands End 100 Sportive. I think we had over estimated how long it would take us to drive to St.ves as we arrived their just after 6am - Maybe that was a tad too early, however there was no queue for registration so some kind of bonus.

With a start at just after 7:30am it proved to be a great day out. Riding along some traffic free coastal roads down to Lands End with the early morning sun highlighting the stunning sceanery of this part of Cornwall. My words cannot capture the rugged beauty of this stretch of coastline is. Though the hill at Kehelland on the homeward leg was a bit of a particular tough surprise... especially after you have done about 50 miles at that point.

I had elected to do the 100 km  (62 miles) route which I completed in 4 hours 51 minuites, though I did stop to help a cyclist who had a broken chain. I had wondered whether to take my multi tool or just take tire levers, lucky for him I chose the former.

All in all it was a well organised great day out with my family turning up to cheer me over the finish line. They even organised the weather which could not have been better.

Here is some video footage I took using a helmet camera that I have edited together to give a feel for the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment